Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Read it before you die

Still gonna be boring this week... I am without camera... sigh...
Anyway, I have a new book recommendation for you... I just finished up "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini.
Better known for his hugely popular novel, "The Kite Runner," Hosseini is a native of Kabul, Afghanistan. The son of a diplomat, Hosseini's family was granted political asylum in the United States in 1980, when Afghanistan fell under communist rule.
"A Thousand Splendid Suns" discusses life in Afghanistan during that period of political turmoil as a woman. The story mainly follows the lives of two women, Mariam and Laila, who come from extremely different homes but have ended up in the same situation, largely as a result of a political structure that took away any control the women had over their own lives.
This story will break your heart a thousand times but in the end, it'll also restore your faith.
On another note, as an American, this story was incredibly interesting to me because it demonstrates how people in other countries view American foreign policy. It also gives an Afghani perspective of the events of 9/11 and the aftermath.
I had a professor in college who used to recommend books by saying, "put this on your list of books to read before you die." To that, I would always respond that if I did that with every book he said that about, I would never be able to die. Because of that, I always swore I would never make those recommendations. But this time, I'm telling you... put this on your list of books to read before you die. But I hope you won't wait that long.

No comments: