Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Sam's Bunny


The other night I finished making a stuffed bunny for my nephew, Sam. It wasn't really the knitting of the bunny that took so long. Mostly it was the finishing up, which I kept putting off. I knitted him up on straight needles so when I was done, I had a bunch of parts that needed to be stuffed and sewn. Finally I just got down to it and I must say, he's pretty darn cute.
I'm planning to give him to my sister's son as part of a christening gift when she comes to visit next month and I really hope she likes it. Of course, I hope Sam likes it too but he's only 9 months old so I'd imagine he'll like anything as long as it's soft, fuzzy and pretty colors.
I will say that I'm a little bit nervous, too. This will actually be the first thing I've knit that I'm giving away as a gift. I've been afraid, I think because I have this feeling like if the thing you make isn't absolutely perfect to the point of being mistaken for store-bought, that the person will view it as you being cheap and not wanting to spend money on the gift. So I guess I haven't been confident enough in my abilities up to now. But fortunately, since it's for my sister's son, I know she'll love it no matter what. And I know that she'll know that making the gift had nothing at all to do with saving money (at $10 a hank, that's a fairly pricey little guy!) and everything to do with putting my love into the present, rather than buying something generic at the mall.
Well anyway, I used the Knitted Cuddlies pattern and he's made with Blue Sky Organic Cotton, which is soooooo snuggly. The ears are white and the body is a baby blue. For the face I just used some charcoal gray scrap yarn I had laying around.

No comments: