Wednesday, July 9, 2008

People I'd Like to Meet: the first installment

I was thinking about this last night. I'd really like to meet whoever is responsible for picking the music for Apple's ad campaigns. I sort of hope it's not just one person because that would mean there's someone working there with inhumanly good taste in music.
But whether it's one person or a room full of people sorting through songs, I owe a large portion of what is currently on my iPod to their taste.
I think it started about a year and a half ago when they started promoting iPods using "Flathead," by the Fratellis. Then, this year they used "1,2,3,4" by Feist and that made them one of my favorite bands. (their cover of Nina Simone's Sea Lion is awesome, by the way.)
More recently, it was the ad for the new thin Macbook that turned me on to "New Soul" by Yael Naim.
And they've also been the cause of my most current musical obsession, The Ting Tings
The Ting Tings sing the song on one of Apple's recent iPod commercials, "Shut Up and Let Me Go." It has such a great energy and just enough anger for me to want to blast it repeatedly when I'm driving alone.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jeez... so it's people like you who get that music played. I always wondered who the hell these hacks pay off to get their songs on the air. Some of them are ok, but many more suck hard. Meanwhile, a ton of musicians with absolutely sick talent are working as computer programmers because there are only an enlightened few thousand of us buying their albums. -cough- SHADOW GALLERY -cough-